I’m teaching a class on Motorcycle Club Heroes for RWA University from Feb 9-21. The class is free to RWA members, so please sign up! I’d love to have you!! The more the merrier! I’ve deviated a little from my original class schedule, so here’s an updated description of each lesson. Be warned that I plan to discuss adult content and use adult language.
1. Overview. I’m going to start with an overview and introductions. Basically I want this to be a fun class with a positive, welcoming atmosphere. You can participate or just lurk. I don’t mind!
2. Begin with a Bang (or a BJ). This lesson focuses on starting where the action is. We’ll take a look at a first page that hooked me as a reader, which happens to be a gritty scene from the MC hero’s point of view.
3. Character, Chemistry, Conflict. The three Cs! We’ll study the physical description of Cole, MC hero from Riding Dirty, as seen through the heroine’s eyes. We’ll also go over strategies to create “spark” and I’ll discuss types of conflict.
4. Dangerous Fantasies. Trigger Warning for this session (sexual violence). I wouldn’t feel right about giving a class on MC heroes without addressing sexism, violence against women and “dangerous” fantasies. It’s a very sensitive topic and I hope to do it justice.
5. Club Code. Here we’ll talk about researching specific details that relate to outlaw motorcycle clubs, and how much realism to include. Then I’ll share some common suspense-writing mistakes, and finish up with a question/answer session. Ask me anything!
I’ve never taught an online class before but I’m guessing that there will be a private forum where we can discuss the lessons and share writing samples. I plan to give feedback and add comments. I’m *really* excited about the topic, and about teaching an adult class. Adulting FTW!
Sign up here.